20 April 2009

Back To Ghana 2009

I'm in Ghana for the 4th time. I arrived on 14 April after traveling about 30 hours. All my luggage arrived with me too! The flights were fine just loooonnnggg! I'm planning on staying here until mid-September. Five full months. When Evans said, "Wow, that's almost half a year." I told him to never say that again. It was too long to be without my husband, Mark. Five months or better yet 150 days sounds much smaller.

I went to see the children on Wednesday. They're all doing well. They're also HUGE!!! When I tell them this they laugh at me. This time I brought proof. I have pictures from Christmas 2006, 2007 and 2008 in 8x10 size and framed. They all had a good time laughing at the changes over the years. I've (hopefully) attached the pictures here for you all to see. Stephen is very tall these days. Regina was teasing him that next Christmas he'll be so tall his head will be off the page.


Everyone loves the books! Thank-you Kevin E manager at Bookman's on Speedway! I'll try to get a picture of the books and the kids next time. They especially enjoy the book about the Dangerous Animals. It has a fold out page showing a huge snake. They try to scare each other with that picture. The spiders, sharks and Komodo Dragon are also big hits. I'm going to try to pdate this blog more frequently this trip. In 2006, I did weekly updates, in 2007 monthly updates and in 2008 I didn't do any updates. I'm going to try to go back to the weekly updates.

I'm in Accra this week working on the paperwork for the fish farm. Next week the kids will be on school break for 3 weeks and I'll be spending the time with them. I'm going to ask them to write my blog updates so stay tuned. They are now taking their end of term exams. I've promised that the two who get the highest scores will get a trip to Akosombo to see the bridge and the fish farm land. Everyone is trying and hoping to win. During their vacation, I will take ALL the children into Suhum for a shopping trip. They'll get to choose a new article of clothes and go out to a restaurant for a lunch. The idea of a restaurant and ordering whatever they want is very exciting for all of us. I plan to do this in 3-4 groups of kids to be sure everyone has time to their own shopping. Look for pictures in the future.

After the children go back to school, I hope to be working on an existing fish farm or at the Water Resource Institute, WRI. Either way, I plan on going to see the kids every other weekend. If all goes well, I'll be able to spend time at both WRI and a working farm. By the way did I mention Ghana is HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT?? No, well it is! As soon as I finish my bath and get dried off, I'm hot and sweating. I decided it is so hot because with as beautiful as it is, if needs something to keep the whole world from wanting to be here. The internet cafe is one place where it isn't hot so maybe that will be a good incentive to update my blog more often.

Bye for now. If you have any questions make a comment entry and I'll try to answer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Florence!
I'm so glad to hear you are still working and that you always find new and interesting ways to drive this project forwards. You and Evans are true inspirators for me in my way to be an adult and to ake responsabilety and to do things for humankind. I saw the reportage about the beads. I'm doing my last year of nursing over the next 1,5 years (need a little moore time to do other things aswel) and then I'll hopefully have the chance to get more hands on in my work. I just want to tell you I'm cheering you guys on and forward! Go, go, go!
Love Rico

Anonymous said...

Hi Flo,
It's great to see how healthy and happy the kids are. You are doing an amazing job with them. Please keep the blog going as often as you can. It's so interesting to see the progress being made. Roger and I will keep in touch with Mark.

My prayers are always with you.
Marsha