09 February 2006

Week 3

First to catch up on the two children I couldn't describe:

Benjamin – He is very much like Stephen so I use to get them confused. Benjamin will sit for hours working on a word seek puzzle. He likes to study and learn everything he can.

Justice – He speaks English just fine. He is aptly named. Whenever there is an injustice you will find him ready to fight. The other day he came charging across the compound chasing a group of village children. I asked him what was going on and he said, “They are trying to sneak around and watch us bathing.” I agreed that was a terrible offense but told him not to throw rocks. So, he waited until he was on the other side of the bushes to throw the rock at the “bad kids”.

I’m turning into a Ghanaian or at least I’m trying. I was at Busy Internet in Accra a few days ago. I had change of 500 cedis coming and the man was hemming and hawing because he didn’t have my change so I said, “Then give me 1,000 cedis.” I had noticed that I had already paid more than the locals for printing so requesting the extra nickel in change really wasn’t such a big thing.

Here is a list of things we have done already since being here. By we, I mean everyone who has given me money before I left, Mark, who will never get over giving me money, and me.


PURCHASED TO DATE
*) Buckets, bowls, sponges and soap for each child
*) 6 bicycles for the school teachers
*) First Aid kit
*) House shoes for all the children
*) Water for one month
*) Nutritious food (fruits, vegetables, fish, eggs, peanuts) for the children
*) Motorcycle for Brother Evans
*) Motorcycle insurance and personal accident insurance for medical expenses in case of an accident
*) Phone minutes for Brother Evans and Sister Sylvia
*) Screens at the home have been replaced
*) New Big bowls for doing laundry
*) Digital Camera (to be mailed)
*) Used lap top (to be mailed)


STILL TO BE DONE

*) Dining table and benches for eating and after school homework
*) Remodel outside kitchen to have windows with screens, tables, shelves, higher ceiling
*) Complete the children’s toilet
*) Provide funds so chief’s house can have one room and one meeting room completed
*) Hand pumps instead of buckets to get water from tanks
*) Installation of above hand pumps
*) Ceramic Water Filter
*) Material for school uniforms for next year
*) Trip to the beach on March 4 or 5 for whole family

Thanks to all for your help. If you haven't looked at it yet, click on the Donations Request link on the side. If you need more information contact Mark.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Flo

I'm following your blog every week and feel like you're giving ME a gift every time I read your adventures. Your excitement is still so evident--I hope you're having a wonderful time!

I love you Big Mamma! (Although it sounds like you're going to be Lil'Mamma by the time you get back with all of the walking you're doing :)

~~Pamala

Florence said...

Pamala I am having a wonderful time! You would think I'd loose some weight but there is so much oil in the food I'm not. I can't ask Sister Sylvia to use less oil because my two daughters are about as big around as a toothpick. They don't eat meat so I can't ask for less oil or they'll disappear entirely! Love to you and Kevin.