08 March 2006

Hello Everyone

I have lost track of what week this is but I’m still here! Last Sunday 5 of March we all went to the beach. It was wonderful. The kids loved it as much as I did. When we got there everyone wanted to hit the water so we each were responsible for one child. I took Kofi expecting him to stay close to shore since he isn’t very high (being two years old and all). We got to the water about Kofi’s thigh high and I let go and said let’s run back. I ran towards shore and he ran towards the sea. I grabbed him in time so he wasn’t knocked down. Next time I let him get knocked over trying to convince him the ocean should be respected. HA!! When I picked him up he shook off the water and laughed. This kept up until my back had enough and I gave him to Anne Christien to watch. I took a much more sensible 6 year old (Susana), who knew not to go out too far. Kofi has no fear whatsoever of the water. Frogs however are very scary creatures, go figure! Extra thanks to Anne Christien’s grandparents who sponsored our trip to the beach.

Here’s an update on the school. The Director of Education for this district visited the school. She asked a class one boy if he could spell his name no, or write his name again no. I then her assistant about class 2 and their problems caused by the lack of teacher’s. Based upon enrollment numbers there is not a lack of teachers. The problem is that the teachers are supposed to combine the smaller classes and have enough teachers for all classes. Instead they have been leaving class 1 and class 2 to volunteers to teach. Not a good practice for anyone. With the associate knowing the situation, it is now up to the director to let the new head master do his job. On a happier note, Anne Christien’s father, Theo, brought some books from an international school in Holland. The headmaster liked them and Theo will be sending the rest of the books for the school to use.

Rico, one of my SYTO daughters from Norway, is visiting us this week for a couple of days. While she is here I will go with her and her friend Alice to Cape Coast and to a National Park. I’ll tell you about it next week after we return. It is the same place Myrte, Anne Christien, Theo and Sanders (Anne Christien’s beau) went last week. They said it was very beautiful but there were no wild animals.

Mother Sylvia’s daughter, Jacklyn, and her grandson, Isaiah are now living at the home. Jacklyn will be going to school in September so Isaiah will be staying with Sylvia. Jacklyn is a big help to her mother and Isaiah is as cute as can be. When he first met me he kept staring and staring. I’m the first obruni he’s ever seen. We now see each other and laugh at how funny I look! He let’s me hold him but like all babies prefers mama to anyone. This morning he rubbed my skin and looked at his hand to see if the strange white stuff would come off. Luckily for me it didn’t. Kofi has been very good with him. Kofi has always been the baby who gets everything. Now Isaiah grabs things away from Kofi. But amazingly Kofi lets him! Kofi also comes to watch when Isaiah is getting his bath because Isaiah cries. Kofi watches to make sure Jacklyn is not hurting his little friend. It is very cute!

When Theo and Sanders left, some of the children cried. The first one was Justice. I asked him, “Are you going to hug Mr. Theo good-by?” He answered, “Yes, but I have something in my eye.” He was trying his best to not cry but those darn tears showed up any way. Father John gave Theo a hug around the legs trying to hide his face because he had also started to cry. By the time Theo left, at least half the children were crying. Luckily for me, it only lasted a little while. Then life was back to normal. When it is my turn to leave, I know I’ll be a blubbering fool! At least I won’t be alone!

Nate, I saw your post. So your baby is Conner and Austin finally gets a brother. Congratulations to all! Send my love to Carrie. Tell her to wait until after May 12th to deliver so I can be home for Conner’s arrival.

Oh by the way for as little as 3,000 US dollars you can be a 40% owner in a gold mine in Liberia. No really, I met a guy who is a Liberian refugee and he told me he is now an orphan but luckily he still holds the title to his dead father’s gold mine. So since I don’t have the money to help him get his gold, I’m giving all of you this wonderful opportunity. It is sometimes amazing how stupid and gullible everyone here thinks I am. Oh well, you can’t blame a guy for trying!

Thanks Wayne and Carol! And Clark Roushey too!

Soo-Hyun, what are you doing reading this? You should be studying! Get back to work.

1 comment:

Antoine said...

Congratulations on a wonderful blog.

Send me an Email: I am sure our company in Ghana can do a "small small" to assist you in your wonderful work!