15 March 2006

Questions Answered

First to Antoine you sent me a comment but I don't have your email address to reply. Please post another comment with your email address. I won't publish it but I will be able to respond. Thanks.

What happened to my hat? I left it on a tro-tro. Tro-tros are always full. If they are not full you sit and wait until they are full before starting. One day a mother with a new born baby and a 3 year old were on the same tro-tro as Sylvia and me. Sylvia told the mother I would hold her daughter for her so she could feed her baby. The little girl just looked at me then relaxed. She was use to sitting on the laps of strangers. After a while she fell asleep. I spent the ride being sure that if there was a quick direction change or an accident I would be able to protect her. Luckily, I didn't need to use any of my plans. Later when her mother got off I was worried she would leave me her daughter. Again luckily, this did not happen. She just needed a minute to adjust her packages and her baby before collecting her daughter. The next stop was where I exited. I got off the tro-tro and my hat didn't. So I have since purchased a new hat for 15,000 cedis or just under two dollars.

What do I do all day? That's an easy one. I mostly sit. I always eat 3 meals a day and I always take two baths a day. I sometimes go to Accra to get more money from the bank. I sometimes go to the internet cafe. I occassionally help the children fetch the water for their evening bath. I've gotten much better at "My Grandmother" and "Mr. Bobo" two hand clapping games. Now that Isaiah has come to live with us, I watch him occassionally while his mother works or does school work. I was the first white person he ever met but now we're best buddies. He is 16 months old and talks in baby rap. We have our own special hello. We look at each other and laugh and toss our heads back. He'll run up to me and Anne Christien for hugs. We can hold him for about 15 minutes. Then he has to get down to check and make sure his mama doesn't miss him. All the children are very good with him. The three oldest girls almost fight to see who gets to hold him. Regina is very smart though. When she gets Isaiah she puts him on her back and walks away from everyone else so he doesn't ask for somebody else! Yesterday little Kofi was eating beans. Isaiah wanted the spoon so Kofi gave it to him (every child knows beans can be eaten just as well with fingers as with a spoon so no problem). Instead of eating the beans, Isaiah used the spoon to feed Kofi. It was so funny and so cute. He didn't always reach Kofi's mouth so Kofi would help him and then just pick up and eat any beans that fell on the table or more likely fell on Kofi's belly.

I miss everyone and wish you were here. I also wish I was at home. As Mark said as soon as I get home I'll wish I was back in Ghana. Don't tell him, but he's probably right.

Myrte arrived before sunset at her final destination, Nkoranza, last Saturday. She sent both Evans and Anne-Christien text messages to let us know she was fine. I think she was afraid I would show up looking for her! She likes her new position working with disabled people. They work making necklaces and bracelets to sell. Myrte works with them. So all of her friends will be getting jewelry for presents.

Once again I'm out of time and ready for lunch. Oh my goodness the salad place was heavenly. I got a huge salad that tasted wonderful. It was the first time in two months that I had eaten fresh vegetables. All of the vegetables we eat are fresh but thoroughly cooked to ensure Obruni stomaches don't get "runny". This restaurant is a true find. They know how to treat the veggies or they buy only from certain vendors or whatever. I don't care. I get a deliscious salad and do not get sick. Life is wonderful.

Love to all. Adios (Tucson ending), Caio (Pegge ending), Bye-bye (Ghana ending).

No comments: