15 January 2006

I'm Here

I arrived in Ghana Saturday morning about 1:00am for a total of 30 hours of travel time. All went well but I was exhausted. I am in a dormitory setting with 3 other young women. Two are from Norway and one is from the Netherlands. They are very young and sweet and kind.

Here are a few funny things I have seen or heard:

*) "Excuse me, I don't mean to be rude or anything but doesn't SYTO . . . ." and I started laughing. Rico, my roommate, was referring to the fact that I am now only 35 years old because that is the oldest age for the SYTO program. Yes, I am old enough to be the mother of all my roommates. I have told them what I can but remind them that I have only been in the country for 24 hours longer than they have so I really don't know anything.

*) Sitting on the terrace at the Pink Hostel I heard a vehicle with speaking coming out of the megaphones mounted to the top. I assumed it was a political message of some kind. When I saw the van it had the words in English about some medicine that cures "Worms, seizures, stomach problems, asthmas as well as a good laxative". This is the modern day equivalent of the charlatan on the carriage selling miracle cures.

*) A little girl, aged 5-7 I guess, was proudly walking down the street wearing her mother's high heel shoes.

I have also seen many interesting sights from the patio.
*) Ladies walking down the street carrying their loads on their heads (bananas, onions and things in bags that I couldn't see)

*) Beautiful, colorful clothing on many people.

*) Boring, western clothing on many people also.

*) Taxis especially, but almost all cars, beep when they see people on the street. (No, not me I am sitting on the patio, native people). I've decided the beep means a car is coming step out of the way. Taxi beeps also mean do you want a ride?

Tomorrow starts the SYTO orientation, I'll fill you in on that later.


P.S.
*) Yes, I realize I really am a geek because I have to use bullets to write notes.

*) I can definitely get pictures developed and placed onto a CD so I will have pictures LATER. I'm saving the two disponsable cameras I have until I find more or until I get to the orphanage, whichevert comes first.

No comments: