18 January 2006

Orientation at SYTO

Today is day 3 of the orientation so I'll give you the highlights so far:
*) I'm the oldest person of the group by enough to be the mother of all. Many of the volunteers are right out of high school and having a year off before starting college. They're so young to be so far away from home.
*) We had health and safety tips. Eat only cooked food, drink only bottled water, use sunscreen and mosquito repellent, sleep under a mosquito net.
*) We had a day going through the main market in Accra. The isles are small as can be at times only wide enough for one person to go around a corner and there were 16 of us staying together. All the Ghanaians were yelling hello, welcome, where are you from. I was give the name "Big Mama" by one vendor. I loved it. Whenever anyone would ask me my name from then on I answered Big Mama.
*) We went to the art center and saw drumming and dancing. The dancer would do a pelvic thrust at the end of his dance in front of the woman who he was dancing in front of. When he got to the end of his dance in front of one of "my babies" I put my hat in front of her eyes so she did not see. Everyone laughed. He then came to dance for me. When he thrust his "manhood" I thrust back my "womanhood" (my chest since I was seated). Again alot of hooting and laughing by all. The dancer would get different people to dance with him, I declined only because it was too hot. When he was dancing with one of "my babies" when he did his thrust I stood up and spanked his butt with my hat not my hand. (With as cute as his dancer butt was that was showing real restraint.) He asked me didn't I want him to dance with my daughters and I said not that way with my babies only my older girls. Of course the men watching loved the fact that he was reprimanded by Big Mama for his actions. Many of the men of course want to date and marry these beautiful rich white women and go home with them to Holland, Norway, Belgium, etc.. I told all the men to have their mother's call and talk to me and we would discuss whether or not they were allowed to date my daughters. No mothers called but one man did show up that evening wishing to talk to me. I was too tired so he didn't get the chance.
*) Today we had orientation in the language Twi. I am oh so not a linguist and oh so very lost! We then had a lesson in drumming and native dancing. There were no pelvic thrusts in this dance. I believe the other dance was meant to be a man's dance to prove his manlihood or to try to find a love. SYTO would certainly not have that taught to the volunteers!
*) The orientation is going very well overall. It is fun. I like everyone here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! TALK ABOUT A 180ยบ TURNABOUT! SOUNDS TERRIBLY EXCITING, AN ABSOLUTE ADVENTURE IF EVER THERE WAS ONE, THO' IT DOES SEEM THAT YOU'RE GOING TO BE BUILDING UP A LOT OF STAMINA.
BUT IN THE END, AT LEAST THE SUPPLIES YOU BOUGHT WILL BE GOING WHERE THEY'RE MOST NEEDED: THAT'S HEARTENING.
KEEP US INFORMED ABOUT YOUR PROGRESS IN TWI (IS IT A "CLICK" LANGUAGE?: I'D NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT TILL NOW...)
(POSTED CUZ I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN/DO READ YOUR E-MAIL...)

Florence said...

Rose and Peg,
Thanks! Yeah it as an adventure all right! I do read emails also. Today I meet with the director of the orphanage who will know about the needs of the children at the school also. I have a cell phone! Can you believe it? Never in the US but yes in Ghana.
Love to All.